To be a great developer, you need to promote greatness in others as well as yourself. In this episode we answer a question from listener Tom on how to lead by example. We talk about how setting a good example can benefit both your team and your own career. Using lessons we have learned ourselves, we highlight how any developer can be a good role model in the workplace.
Benefits of leading by example for yourself
- Helps establish your authority in your development skills and capabilities
- Avoids presenting a double standard.
- Establishes trust and respect with others
Benefits of leading by examples for your team
- Holds the whole team to higher standards
- Promotes team collaboration
- Promotes individual growth and learning
How to lead by example
- Identify the change you want to see and why it is important
- Communicate and collaborate on your ideas with others
- Perform and demonstrate your ideas confidently.
Lead by example by being a S.C.C.R player
- Supportive: Care for others and their progress
- Collaborative: Work with others towards a common goal
- Communicative: Listen more than you speak. Be honest and open.
- Reliable: Establish trust, respect and confidence, in your skills, abilities and team.
Links from this Episode
- Share with us your experience with setting a great development example
- Win a sticker, send us your ideas for epsiode topics