Building a network of professionals is imperative to the growth of your development career. Where do you find the right professionals to connect with? When you do find them how do you start creating meaningful relationships? In this episode we focus on helping you answer those questions. Using past experiences we provide examples of how to find network building opportunities. We then outline tips you can use for starting meaningful conversations that help to build connections.
The importance of networking
- You never know what opportunities it will bring
- Establishes a professional support community
- Allows you to be a mentor/leader to others
- Industry conferences
- Award ceremonies
- Random encounters
Creating a meaningful connections
- Be proactive, do not wait for others to approach you
- Find a common ground to start a conversation from
- Show a genuine interest in the other person
- Do your best to leave a great impression
- Let other listeners know, what tips do you have for building connections?
- Tell us, a positive outcome you experienced from a network connection?
Links from this Episode
- The Ballmer Peak
- Rule of Reciprocity
- How to win friends and influence people*
- You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar
- SPI #240: Tips & Tricks to get the most out of conferences by Pat Flynn
Previous episodes mentioned
- Development Interview Situations
- Using D.U.M.B goals and S.M.A.R.T goals to grow your development career
* We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.