An important part of your development career is understanding when and how to take risks. In the first episode of season two we sit down with Jim Fisk (@jimafisk) and Stephanie Luz (@SayStephanieNow) of Jantcu (@jantcutech) and talk about taking risks as a developer. In our conversation we discuss why taking risks is important, the two types of risks you'll face and how to balance risk with reward in development.
- Risk can be a catalyst for career growth.
- Without taking risks you’ll stagnate as a developer.
- Overt risks are easy to quantify and measure.
- Covert risks are harder to quantify and take a long time to measure.
Questions to ask when taking a risk
- What is the worst potential loss?
- What is the best potential gain?
- Does the gain outweigh the loss? (to you)