Development is full of complexities and challenges. Because of this, it can be difficult to maintain confidence in your development abilities. In this episode we talk with Aubrey Sambor (@starshaped), a front-end developer about Imposter Syndrome. Something that effects almost all developers at some point in their careers. Aubrey shares her personal experiences dealing with Imposter Syndrome and how she works through it. We discuss the five different types of Imposter Syndrome developers may experience. Fore each we outline their causes, effects and methods for overcoming.
- Almost all developers experience Imposter Syndrome, you are not alone.
- You are not in your position due to luck, but because of your hard work.
- When you experience Imposter Syndrome dont go at it alone, turn to others for help.
Five Types of Imposter Syndrome
- The perfectionist: Continuelly Setting and failing at over abmitious goals.
- The Super-person: Pushing to work harder and harder to the point overload.
- Natural Genuinus: If something is not hard, then it is not a sign of success.
- Rugged Individualist: Assuming that asking for help is a sign of weakness.
- The Expert: Success is gained through luck and not experience.
Links from this Episode
- Aubrey on Twitter
- 5 Different Types of Imposter Syndrome
- The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women* by Valerie Young
- Mikes on the road "recording booth"
Have an idea for a future episode?
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.