A career in development is full of challenges. However it can be easy to slip into a cycle of development stagnation, approaching every problem the same way, with the same tools. In this episode we talk with Mark Robert Henderson (@hackforthesea), a lead developer at CUASHI and organizer of the Hack for the Sea hackathon about the values of finding ways to challenge yourself as a developer. We discuss how challenging yourself allows you to grow as a developer, as well as, some examples of ways to challenge yourself.
Levels of "Developer Enlightenment"
- Not knowing things and knowing you dont know things.
- Not knowing things and thinking you know (all) things.
- Knowing things and thinking you know (all) things.
- Knowing things and knowing you still dont know things.
Methods to Challenge Yourself
- Question your approach to solving a problem, and try a different method.
- Be open to feedback to your work in code reviews.
- Attend a Hackathon, use a new tool, language or framework.